Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Energy Project Reflection

My Energy Conservation Project was to discover how much energy the computers in my house actually use, and how much energy Bartlett's computers use; the results for my house were more interesting than Bartlett's, though all of the findings were not as complete as they could have been. I found the spreadsheet relatively easy to create and input data. The Powerpoint was relatively easy, outside of how complicated it was to insert my spreadsheet data. I know for a fact that, looking back and going through the project once more, the powerpoint could definitely have used less wording on more than a few slides, and I'm not sure if the spreadsheets were necessary - perhaps just pulling in a few data points would have sufficed.
In the video presentation, I was extremely nervous, and I had to edit out parts where I accidentally re-read areas, or fumbled to a fault. Also, while I was going back through it, the presentation itself was over 7 minutes long - I myself lost interest in it after 3 minutes or so. I know that when I do powerpoints in my classroom, I am always walking around, making eye contact, and because all of the points are things I've practiced going over anyway, I am not simply reading from the presentation to an empty classroom; in this instance however, I was constantly
  • reading from the board,
  • pointing to data that wasn't necessary for me to go over had the audience access to the spreadsheet I took it from.
  • In addition, the informational data I went over took the majority of the time, and I didn't find it necessary.
I realized when watching the video playback,
  • I fiddle around with my Apple Remote consistently,
  • I don't make eye contact very often,
  • and I talk a too fast in areas.
  • Also, though I say "Um" frequently, it is not as bad as it had been in the past (I counted less than 10!)
Overall, I'm well aware now that speaking to an empty classroom is, for me, more nerve-wracking than speaking to a full one! This is especially true when I know that I am being recorded!


For the spreadsheet, please click here.
For the powerpoint presentation, please click here.
For the video presentation of the powerpoint, click here.