Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Education Philosophy

Entering into the world of educating is one experience that no teacher will ever forget - you embark on this journey with all of your preconceived ideas and beliefs, only to exit realizing that education, like the ocean, is ever-moving, ever-changing, and never static. As a result, parts of this education philosophy will move on with me through my career, while other areas may dissolve, making room for other theories and philosophies on education. What I do know at this very moment is that
  1. I will always want my classroom to be conducive to my students' learning.
  2. I will always strive to be facilitator instead of lecturer.
  3. As an educator, I will constantly and consistently modify, adapt, and evaluate my teaching methods, styles, and lessons.
  4. My students will, without fail, enter my classroom having different perceptions on the world and experiences that have shaped them as people; these experiences will invariably define who they are and how they view the world around them, which includes and is not limited to my classroom and literature within.
  5. I will perpetually be that person who will always want the walls of communication open and never closed, for I have always and will continue to believe that communication is the key ingredient in understanding and acceptance, the difference between triumph and failure.