I wanted to do something related to Language Arts, but so much writing is now done on computers, and each school has them. In addition to those computers, my fiance makes his living working on his computer, a Mac Pro quad core that is hooked up to three monitors. He uses it every day, and it is on all the time because he needs it ready to go.
I also have a computer, an iMac, in the same room, and the temperature is higher by at least three degrees in our computer room alone. Thus, because we have become a computer-driven society, I want to find out how much energy this is costing us.
I found a website that has an equation I can use to figure out the total cost of running a computer. From there, I'm hoping to find out how much energy goes into running a computer. I already know that my iMac, which I'm using to write this blog, is running at approximately 180 watts. My fiance is at his computer, and his Mac Pro can run upwards of 850 watts.
It would be fun to find out how much energy students use at school on the computers, and if that energy could be depleted somehow.